Yoga Means Your Self-Knowledge.
- Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
Regular commenter, t-om, alerted us to a bunch of videos of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois teaching and speaking that were uploaded to YouTube about a month ago by user, frikaloopa, including one of Pattabhi Jois explaining Ashtanga yoga. Simple, brilliant and check out those glasses.
Frikaloopa has seven videos of Ashtanga yoga – the one above plus six practice videos. Some of these appear to cut from professional video productions and others seem to be class demonstrations. In addition to Sharath, Frikaloopa identified Chuck Miller and Mazy Ezraty, Tim Miller, Gary Lapodata, Clifford Sweate, Ray Rosenthal, Richard, Eddie and Kate in the videos. (I can’t tell from the videos whether these names are accurate; if you can, please let us know in the Comments section.)
Three of the videos show demonstrations of the Intermediate Series. Here is a full list (with time in minutes in parentheses):
- Sharath demonstrating backbends (02:30)
- Part of the Primary Series (03:53)
- Sri K. Pattabhi Jois teaching outside (06:24)
- Sharath demonstrating Intermediate Series (05:15)
- Sri K. Pattabhi Jois teaching Intermediate Series in 1987 (06:24)
- Pattabhi Jois teaching the Intermediate Series again (05:43)
- Sri K. Pattabhi Jois explaining Ashtanga yoga (below) (03:02)
Last time we featured YouTube videos of Krishnamacharya and B.K.S.
Iyengar on AshtangaNews, a whole storm of discussion on copyright and Asteya ensued. You can check all that out in the posts, See Krishnamacharya (and Iyengar) on Video and Asteya Redux: A Grumpy Post. For this post, let’s try to focus on the practice and senior teachers and students in these videos!