Sri Krishna Pattabhi Jois (1915-2009)

“Do your practice and all is coming.”

Guruji passed away today, May 18 2009, in Mysore, India.

Sri K. Pattabhi Jois by Govinda Kai

Sri K. Pattabhi Joi by Govinda Kai

The KPJAIY.org site states:

May 18, 2009
Guruji passed away today at 2:30pm (Indian Standard Time). Thank you for all your condolences and prayers. Please kindly refrain from contacting the family directly at this time.

Here are some thoughts from Facebook.com:

Deeply mourning the loss of my sweet Guruji. He passed away in the presence of Sharath, Saraswathi and the family. Such a mixture of thoughts and emotions flow through me as I remember what this great man and spirit meant to me and to the world.

I am reflecting now on how deeply and radically Guruji touched so many of our lives. I know that, for me, his touch was the beginning of a whole series of events that led me to a life that I could have never dreamed of. Guruji will continue to live on in everything that I do. His spirit and his heart will continue to inform the work that I do. Thank you dear, sweet Guruji for being such a light. Govinda Kai

guruji

I am constantly inspired by his teachings and fire, and grateful for the lineage and the network of family and friends that he has created. Rest in peace…live on in all of us. Love. Christine Hoar

Here’s the Twitter stream of reactions (there’s a new tweet every ten minutes on average).

More Reactions (Updated May 18 Evening):

YouTube Preview Image

29 Comments »

1. Laura said,

May 18, 2009 at 1:35 pm

My life is what it is today because of this man………….Thankyou Pattabhi jois

2. nico108 said,

May 18, 2009 at 6:57 pm

He saved my life.

3. happytoes said,

May 18, 2009 at 11:14 pm

i’ve never met you in person,but thank you so much,Guruji. Ashtanga changed the way I see my own life and other people’s lives.

4. sylvie said,

May 19, 2009 at 4:53 am

I never had the chance to meet you but thank you for such a great practice that has changed my life. My sincere condolences to your family. Rest in peace.

5. surya said,

May 19, 2009 at 8:45 am

I never had the chance to meet you but thank you for such a great practice that has changed my life. I promise you that I never leave to do Ashtanga. My sincere condolences to your family. Rest in peace. Always in my heart…Guruji

6. Mindy said,

May 19, 2009 at 9:00 am

Guruji, thank you for your abundance of wealth in sharing your gift with the world. You are legendary and your presence is forever lasting. Much love to your family and may you rest in peace

7. Sadhana Ali said,

May 19, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Peaceful passing in your next life

Om Shanti

8. Barbara said,

May 19, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Guruji, you are never dead, we’ll make you live forever

9. maria karastergiou, owner of the yogaessence.gr Studio Yoga in Athens, Greece said,

May 20, 2009 at 2:44 am

Good bye Guruji, we’ll make you live forever through your Teaching, which was a gift for us, in the West. Thank you Pattabhi. Big Soul !!!!!

You along with Iyengar have helped us in the West to change completely the way we think, perceive our physical bodies & connect with our hearts. You helped us to become more connected with our souls, to become more spiritual.

Never met you in person, but thank you so much, Guruji. Ashtanga is spread all over the world now, & has changed the way we see our oursenves. Thank you for sharing with us such a great practice. You’ll become a legend.

Your Spirit & your Teaching will continue to inspire our practice, our spirit, our life. Thank you dear Guruji for being such an inspiration to us!!!! We became more enlightened because of you. You shed more light on this planet. You helped us to become better souls…

Sincere condolences to your family. Always in my heart…Guruji !!!! Peaceful passing in your next life

Om Shanti

10. Virginia said,

May 20, 2009 at 4:41 am

Kind sir, your influence went beyond your direct physical contact – your love and work has been and continues to be transmitted in so many ways. Your work has impacted me profoundly through your written and spoken words and through your loyal and dedicated senior teachers. Thank you.
    May your family be consoled by remembering the joy you brought to the world, the tradition you upheld and the obligation you fulfilled.
    Om shanti, shanti, shantih……

11. Jeffery khoo said,

May 20, 2009 at 6:48 am

I have never met you but have study under your student (Paul Dallaghan)my teacher. I was sadden on the news of your passing but you have make a different in the world.You may not exist in the physical world but your spirit and legacy live on through the people whom life you have touch.

12. Surya said,

May 20, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Is it that now that you are gone you are forever present? Is it that you are now closer than ever? Is each breath of our practice now your eternal breath? I, as thousands of others have been truly blessed and your absence is now your presence. You live in my heart forever, I LOVE YOU GURUJI!!!!!!! You are with God and God is with us. Long live.

13. Surya said,

May 20, 2009 at 12:12 pm

It is said that the day you arrive to this world, you do crying while everyone around you is smiling… if the day you leave this world you are smiling and everyone around you is crying then, your job is done.
    This is the way it is for Guruji , this is his gift. His life and purpose is fulfill. Truth is, among millions of us, he is immortal.

14. Melissa Wasserfall said,

May 20, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Sending endless love and gratitude to you on your next journey Guruji.Practicing with you has opened my heart and continues to feed into every aspect of my life.I think of you every day with love and respect.

15. jutima said,

May 21, 2009 at 8:11 am

please post this article written by paul dallaghan on our life with Guruji

thank you.

16. Lucy Dockwray said,

May 21, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Yoga has saved me in my life, given me a purpose and is making me a strong person inside as well as out. Without a great man like yourself the world would have been a darker place. Wishing you happiness and peace on your next journey.

17. Aimee Acebedo said,

May 22, 2009 at 11:57 am

Dear Guruji,
    It is my deepest regret that I will never be able to fully express the ineffable impact your life’s work has had on my existence. Ashtanga Yoga has humbled my existence and connected me with something greater than myself. It facilitated a spiritual awakening that reconciled and healed wounds created by a childhood in the evangelical south. Because of this, I’m profoundly grateful. I thank you for this Self awakening.
    Thank you for your life’s devotion to transmitting this practice.
    With reverence for you, your family, and this practice…. VANDE GURUNAM

18. laura said,

May 28, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I send deep feelings of gratitude, love and peace to Guruji.
    I met you through so many lives that you profoundly and directly touched while on this life dimension. I feel your presence stronger then ever since your passing and I know you are even closer and more supportive now with your eternal spirit finally freed from bodily limits and able to reach us all instantly. It is with growing love and devotion that I salute you and deeply thank you for showing us your universal, simple and effective method to the Light here on earth.

19. annie said,

May 28, 2009 at 4:42 pm

guruji, i felt the energy and your presence when i attended your workshop so many years ago. just the smile on your face brings me positive light. thank you so much for everything. you will forever be within everyone you’ve touched whether they attended a workshop with you, read your book or simply just practiced ashtanga. you are now on a new journey and you will forever be in my thoughts.

20. Michael Gannon said,

June 1, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Many students have asked me why I do NOT teach Shavasana, but only final relaxation.
    The first time I was with Pattabhi Jois in Mysore, I asked him is I should go upstairs for Shavasana. Guruji shouted at me, Shavasana No! You take rest now Micahael! Shavasana coming only one time each life. When life finished!

Have a great Shavasana Guruji…

– Michael Gannon, May 18, 2009

21. Giuliano Vecchiè said,

June 1, 2009 at 4:03 pm

This is for us all, who practice this wonderful style created and spread around the world by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, a day full of sadness and very painful for the missing of our wonderful and Great Yoga Master, who many of us have been so lucky to meet and work with, appreciating his strength, his smile, his kindness and his great helpfulness. To him our biggest respect. May this day be a great occasion to gather us all to consolidate and increase our sense of communion which will become surely bigger and bigger in the name and the remembrance of our beloved Guruji.
    Thank you Guruji and rest in peace!

22. maria said,

June 1, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Im very sorry and send my heart felt condolance.I was my wish to meet him but it was not possible, but one thing I am sure of, He save my daughter and me
    and helped us to find hope and to follow the right path to live.
    we love you Pattabhi Jois.

23. Michelle said,

June 1, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I am so glad that I have been touched by his gift of Ashtanga yoga.. it has brought me great peace

24. Yogasurf said,

June 2, 2009 at 1:16 am

Many nice coments,

sad to see so many “Old Students” doing self promotion on Gurujis death

25. Chule said,

June 2, 2009 at 7:06 am

Jois, thanks for the Yoga.

Om Shanti OM.

26. carlos said,

June 5, 2009 at 4:41 am

I went to Mysore in appreciation for the ceremonies, and I want to thank you
    There was an inmense presence there and a great vibrant energy as the reqiem slokas sounded
    I didnt get to meet you Guruji, every time I am taught Asthanga yoga I know you are Guruji

love and peace

27. HSP « oxoenblogg said,

May 31, 2011 at 11:31 am

[...] Mysore i Barcelona den 27 – 29 maj 2011 med Peter Sanson. Peter gick i lära hos Guruji Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. Peter var hos Guruji i 21 år. Peter kan en hel del om yoga. Jag kan inget. Peter Sanson, foto: [...]

28. Andre Lima said,

February 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I pray for dear guruji, wishing that he could always assist the true yoga practitioners and hope that Yoga does not become a business, but come to the origen of guru’s disciple love and affection leading to a self realization…

29. yoga shepherds bush said,

October 2, 2012 at 5:43 am

Still to this day continue to feel so much gratitude to Guruji, his legacy and the way he has touched so many of our lives. Thank you, thank you!

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URL