Reactions on Pattabhi Jois’ Death, 3 Days Later

Sri K. Pattabhi Jois died on Monday May 18 2009.

guruji-sittingThe official site announced a public memorial for the end of the month:

Students may come and give respects to Guruji’s soul on Sunday, May 31, 2009 in Mysore.

Beliefnet states:

The outpouring of affection and emotion in response to the passing of beloved yogi Sri K. Pattabhi Jois is deeply moving. Ashtanga studios areound the world are holding tributes: Jivamukti in New York is devoting a week of chanting to him; the Shala in Los Angeles is having a ceremony tonight at 6pm; and many individuals and teachers are dedicating their next practice to him.

At my local studio (in Mountain View, California), we are holding a 30 minute meditation every day before class this week at 6 am.

News of his death was found almost immediately on blogs, Facebook, Twitter and other social networking sites. The conversation on Twitter has now increased in pace, with more than 10 tweets an hour.

It took 3 days for the news to percolate to the mass media, but has now reached major media outlets such as the New York Times, UK’s Guardian, the Times of India, BBC News and more.

Here is a round up of the latest commentary on Guruji’s death:

Pattabhi Jois' death announced on the Guardian's front page

Pattabhi Jois' death announced on the Guardian's front page

Thousands of devotees of ashtanga yoga will perform their primary series with a heavy heart today after learning of the death at 93 of the influential teacher in the movement, Krishna Pattabhi Jois. – The Guardian

More:

8 Comments »

1. gilli Harouvi said,

May 23, 2009 at 11:31 pm

another link to Ha’Aretz newspaper in Israel-
    about Sri Krishna Pattabhi-Jois passing.

2. brian reilly said,

May 24, 2009 at 1:30 am

A sad day for Yoga around the world, but a celebration to a Great Soul and World teacher. He will go down in history along with all of India’s other wonderful Yoga Masters.

3. Lucia Cockcroft said,

May 28, 2009 at 10:34 am

Yoga Abode also ran a piece on Guruji’s passing away
    (http://www.yoga-abode.com/blog/pattabhi_jois_passing).

We are now seeking comments and memories from ashtanga students and teachers, for a longer tribute feature. Please use the site’s contact form for comments.

4. gabriela said,

October 3, 2009 at 11:24 am

Hellow!! i practice yoga, and my teacher ir the best one! she is Philippa, from London!!!
    Namaste!
    Gabriela

5. Teresa :) said,

January 18, 2010 at 5:20 am

i love you guruji, you are my love. you inspire me. much love x

6. laura said,

May 13, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Guruji, you died on the same day as my grandmother. May you both soar above us and guide us to our truth.

7. asphalt 7 apk said,

August 6, 2012 at 11:10 pm

AshtangaNews I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You are incredible! Thanks! your article about AshtangaNewsBest Regards Nick

8. VNdC » Blog Archive » grandpa’s house said,

January 30, 2013 at 4:04 pm

[...] behind on the Sri Lanka stories, of course. Pattabhi Jois died on May 18. He was 93. I’m beginning to feel like the trip will fade out of memory if I don’t write it [...]

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URL